Do you require Planning Permission:

You will probably require Planning Permission if you want to:

  • build something new,
  • make a major alteration to your building, e.g. build an extension, or
  • change the use of your building.

To find out if your proposal requires planning permission you should contact Arun District Council Planning Department.


Work covered by Building Regulations

The Building Regulations 2010 cover the construction and extension of buildings.

You might also need building regulations approval for many alteration projects, including if you plan to:

  • replace fuse boxes and connected electrics,
  • install a bathroom that will involve plumbing,
  • change electrics near a bath or shower,
  • put in a fixed air-conditioning system,
  • replace windows and doors,
  • replace roof coverings on pitched and flat roofs,
  • install or replace a heating system, or
  • add extra radiators to a heating system.

You could need approval, or have to follow special rules, for works not listed here – so always research your particular project.

Check with a Arun District Council Planning Department if you can’t decide if you need approval.